HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"old eggs" question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: "old eggs" question Reply with quote

Ok, so this is a weird question, but I was thinking about this this morning.

Is having old eggs and the risk of having children later in life more about your actual age, or about the number and condition of your eggs?

Since I've been pregnant and/or nursing for 4.5 years now, I have only had about 4 periods in that time...ovulating less than I would have had I had no kids and be my same age. Does that mean that instead of being like a 36 yr old I would be like a 32 yr old and less likely to have those birth defects?
melicovas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I like this question. No clue what the answer is but hoping it means my eggs are really 30 and 36 1/2
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. I don't think it would work that way. Even though you're not releasing as many eggs, they're still in your body getting older. I've only seen the birth defect risks mentioned based on actual chronological age. But, if you're 36 that's still pretty young. Lots of women have babies into their 40s that are healthy. Even though your risk might be slightly higher than it was a decade ago, overall the risk is still pretty small. Odds are higher that you'd have a nice healthy bub. :)
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are a newborn, you have all the eggs you'll ever have, so whether or not they are released each month, they will continue to age. Women do not make new eggs during their lifetime. So your eggs are the eggs of a 36 year old regardless of how many you have left.
Men continuously make new sperm (they need to...most of them get lost as they refuse to ask directions!)
Hope that helps a bit.
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, ladies! can you tell that I am trying with everything in my might to convince myself I would still be alright to have another :)

well, I have a 6mo, so.....no way am I thinking about wanting to be pregnant yet, but just today I was thinking about how maybe, just maybe when he is 2.5...and I'll have JUST turned 38. I don't know! I'm going to ask DH tonight if we can just give ourselves one year and then reevaluate next summer when our baby will be 18 mo. and hopefully we are less like zombies and in a better frame of mind. Then we can either go ahead with the V or consider #4.
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my....I just turned 39 last month and boy do I feel the squeeze with adding JUST any child at this point...so I too am trying to do everything to convince myself too I should just go for it, again...."it" meaning anything, ttc, adopting, something....and yes old eggs fill my mind every month and the fact as I get closer to 40 the realization that I may not have too many more of these "fertile" months left...ugh! SO wish I could shut my brain off....LOL

mommy 2-2...."Men continuously make new sperm" (they need to...most of them get lost as they refuse to ask directions!)

I had a huge laugh on that comment! Way funny and oh so TRUE!!!!!! :-)
2blue1pink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, regardless of ovulatory status, as we age, so do our eggs.

If your due date falls on or after your 35th birthday, you are considered AMA (advanced maternal age). At 35 the risk of Down's Syndrome increases. As does the risk of miscarriage. While at the same time, fertility decreases. The older you are, the yuckier the statistics.

If you got pregnant quickly in your twenties and early thirties, it can be a different ball game in your mid to late thirties.
Kind of sucks when you think about it!
RockyMtnMom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fret! My "old eggs" just landed me a sweet little guy who is now 7.5 months old! I was blessed enough to have him one month before turning 40. I have some older friends who've never had any problems with miscarriage or fertility and they've also had very healthy babies. While I did have two losses before our third child, I got pregnant during the first cycle with them and our third child...all being 37+. So, you never know! (Just DON'T let your husband get a V if you are even remotely considering another.)

Good luck!
nata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been worried quite a bit during this pregnancy (I was 35 at conception and 36 at delivery) about the health of the baby...especially because I am an MD myself and have "seen things happen" + I have - by chance - a couple of friends who have children with special needs (aal born, actually, long before their mothers were AMA)..one of them has a child with Down syndrome, he was born when she was 32 or smth, and last year, at age 37, she went for the 3d child and had a healthy boy... But for me age is a risk factor, I would be just afraid to try for one more child after 36-37 (I think)....
2purpleflowers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that it's a steady decline in egg quality (though it accelerates after age 35), not like they suddenly went bad overnight the night before you turned 35. So, you had a healthy baby at 36, and having a healthy baby at 38, though not as likely as at 36, is still more likely than not.
melicovas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not even remotely considering more kids when DH got the V done afetr our 3rd was born ( I was 33 1/2) Now, we just laid out a crap load of cash to have it reversed and see if we can get #4...and I will be 37 in January! *GASP* NO "V"s unless you REEEAALLLY REALLLLLY know there is NO WAY YOU"d EVER want another - no matter what.
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish they'd just put an expiration date stamp on 'em ya know? A nice little "use by" date!
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="melicovas"]I was not even remotely considering more kids when DH got the V done afetr our 3rd was born ( I was 33 1/2) Now, we just laid out a crap load of cash to have it reversed and see if we can get #4...and I will be 37 in January! *GASP* NO "V"s unless you REEEAALLLY REALLLLLY know there is NO WAY YOU"d EVER want another - no matter what.[/quote]

so what you're saying is that a lot can change in 3 years? :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: