HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Opinions Girls.... A rant about my shitty Dr. visits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyowyome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Need Opinions Girls.... A rant about my shitty Dr. visits Reply with quote

So... for the THIRD OB appt in a row, I waited a full hour or more before seeing the doc. She spent about 5 minutes with me measuring, finding the heartbeat- and then was just trying to send me out the door.

Though I had about 5 things on a list I wanted to ask her... I decided I'd be lucky if I could fit in the most important one. I told her I've been having A LOT of contractions. All the time. Belly is hard as a rock MANY times a day, for quite a while each time! Makes me feel tired around the middle and short of breath sometimes. Dehydration, activity, full bladder, and STRESS all definately make them worse!

This happened with my last bb, starting early and landing me up in OB for IV hydration and brethine shots at 24 weeks. I was then given an RX for Procardia to keep the contractions at bay... and it did seem to help. I took it only on work days or when the contractions seemed too frequent. Quit them at 36wks and had him at 38. The contractions seem worse this round...

So I ask her: did the US show my cervical thickness or anything when I had my 20wk appt so we might be able to compare with my cervix now? (because I did my OWN research on uterine irritability and know that contractions are harmless as long as the cervix isn't changing).

No- she doesn't THINK the US would've measured that (but isn't about to call the OB doc that did it or find out, even tho it was a $630 US...) so she orders me an outpatient US titled: IUP/contractions- cervix. Tells me to call and make an appt (which I HONESTLY don't have time to make in the next 2 wks d/t travel).

So now I guess I am supposed to let coworkers of mine at the hosp. fiddle around with a vag US of my cervix just to get a result we have nothing to compare to? And who has $ for this kind of thing right now? Sigh.

I am just upset with how my relationship w/ my Family Practice/OB has deteriorated. I feel like I want a second opinion- from the OBSTETRICIAN who did my US (my FP refers out all US)... but am afraid of the $ and stepping on toes. I wish my FP would've offered to call the OB and ask what he thought might be the best plan... but she OBVIOUSLY doesn't have time for such things anymore... I want to call him just to "pick his brain", but it's not really my place- it's supposed to be hers, since I only pay him for the US.

I don't want to take meds or have US I don't need. I just wanted her to take the time to hear me out and make a plan WITH me... not just take off with the first suggestion (checking the cervix) I had. Maybe contractions are normal for me? Maybe I need procardia again? I don't trust that she'll take the time anymore to do what's best for me.. just what is fastest and easiest- and most likely expensive as hell...

So: #1 What to do about a doc that rushes through your visits so fast she wouldn't notice if bb's leg was hanging out... after you've waited at least and hour past your visit time to see her over and over again???

#2 Do you ladies have experience with contractions vs irritable uterus vs braxton hicks, etc.? What IS normal? What IS safe? If I knew they were nothing to worry about... I wouldn't! I did have my first at 37wks and they were never sure why- he was 5bls, 14 oz. I made it to 38wks w/ #2 who was also under 6lbs- but I took procardia from 24wks on. I am on my feet for 10+hrs at work, 3 days a week, in a very high-stress environment. I am not working out anymore- I do enough at work and home... but my Dr. never even discusses these things w/ me???

#3 I am tempted to blow off the whole contraction issue- just try to manage them as I have been- and not get any US or anything. But I would feel really badly if I did end up with a preemie. I just don't think getting this cervical US is the answer- as it would be another 2mos before we'd maybe even do another to compare? I don't know what IS done in these circumstances, but I do know I can't be the only one ever facing this issue! I want to call the damn OB, cuz he WOULD know!

Remember I don't have the option of doulas, midwives, birth centers, etc. Just plain old Dr.s and hospitals here... Thanks in advance and sorry so long!
melicovas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew.. Ok so hang on.. CAN you switch docs? It seems that for whatever reason it isnt that simple in your case? If it were me, I'd just switch docs mid-stream. Maybe find one who specializes in high-risk pregnancies. I didnt get the whole part about the 1st OB, the 2nd one , who did the US etc..
nata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have measured the cervix, if I were worried...you don't have to compare it with anything, it should be just this and this long at the certain stage of pregnancy (like 4 cm or smth at 20 weeks, e.g.). What do you call contractions, like Braxtons but then painful? I have been having rather painful Braxtons as of 23 weeks during this pregnancy..which almost dissapeared as soon as I went on maternity leave at 34 weeks of pregnancy..was definetely stress-induced in my case..My oldest was born at 36 weeks, DS2 at 39, and DD now at 40 weeks and 5 days.. But trust your feeling, if you are getting even more stressed because you keep worrying, then check the cervix...I would have switch the doc if I could....
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nata"] But trust your feeling, if you are getting even more stressed because you keep worrying, then check the cervix...I would have switch the doc if I could....[/quote]

this was my thought--why not get a 2nd opinion if you can? or switch if you can? firstly, you don't need any extra stress, and if you are already unhappy with other things about this OB/practice, you will likely have others, right? I am such a strong believer in the mind/body connection when it comes to pregnancy and labor. I really think keeping you stress free and confident in your provider is high priority in the overall outcome of things. I wish I would have been more choosy with my 1st provider as I was with the one I had for my boys. Having someone I trusted made a huge difference for me.
wyowyome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

You're right... switching docs isn't really all that easy. Been with this one for 8 years (she used to like her job....) and the actual OB that does her 20wk ultrasounds for her (she is family practice md) only sees me in emergencies or if c-section is needed, etc. I know him well too, just from business dealings and seeing him for 3 US now. He is a good OB, so I was always content knowing he had my doc's back.

So- we left town for the wknd for a wedding and I decided to journal my contractions. I know I've been having them... but never have the time to keep track of how many or how often! They are not painful- just my uterus hardening into a solid HARD ball- and after a few of them, they start to make my low back ache and I feel icky... like nauseaous, anxious, I start to feel pelvic/vaginal twinges that might be real or imagined, etc... So- regardless of if they are BH or not... when they really pick up, I start to worry!

We woke at 3AM for the drive and I had a good strong ctx hourly even though I was sitting on my butt in the car. In the afternoon- I had a few every half hour or so- but nothing alarming for me.

At about 430PM- while sitting around visiting with family- I had a pretty strong one. Changed seats. Another. Went to pee. Drank 3 glasses water. Another. Took tylenol & lay down for 1.5hrs by myself drinking water when I'd rather have been visiting family... Grrr! Ctx slowed, but I could still feel uterus was irritable.

At 6P- got up, drank more water, and wandered back out to visit. Had 1 or 2 mild ones. At 7P family wanted to go to resturant for dinner- so we went. When I walked in, got a strong one my mom could see through my shirt! Sat down and they began coming and going every 2-4 min and lasting a good minute + ea. After 3-4 of those, I went to the car and laid down- called the OB dept back home.

They told me to come in. I am in middle of nowhere and can't- anxious about going to strange hospitals. They have my doc call me- she manages to call in Procardia (med I had to slow them with last bb at 24wks when this happened) in a pharmacy 1hr away with 10min to close on Fri noc...Thank GOD my cousin worked there and picked up my med and met me at the motel an hour+ later!!!

Contractions continued every 5-10 min or more from 7p until 10:15 when I finally got the med. They tapered to every 15min and then I fell asleep... Had one right away when I awoke and rolled over at 7am the next morning.

The procardia do seem to cut them in half. I am home now for 3 days of working FT 12hr shifts... going to try to fit that US in. Sigh... I am sure all will be fine. Thanks for your support!!!
nata

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyowyome, this sounds like a bit too much, even if these are BH... I hope the medicine will help..do you have an appointment now with your OB to discuss the contractions etc? Can you may be take some time off at your work? To me it sounds that you really need to lay down at least for several days,your uterus seems to be really irritated..Let know how things are going!
wyowyome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nata-
I just had the cervical US done and I am estatic! My cervix is 6.1cm thick, when all I was hoping for was a good 4-5 to be in the normal range! Baby GIRL (she again made this very apparent!) is measuring to-the-day accurate in size! WOW!

Her head is nice and snug against the top of my cervix- which might explain some of the pressure and twinges there. She may or may not stay there... but she sure was there today- and she better be there in the end!

I have the procardia for the contractions now and it helps cut the frequency by half- and the contractions are only half as hard. I will use it just as needed for busy days- so it remains effective.

I have only 3 more weeks of pushing myself hard w/ work & travel before school starts and my schedule is slower. Then I might try to take it easier (once I catch up on missed housework, that is!) (:

I am just so happy and relieved- I think my crappy doc might just be fine for now... since everything looks a-ok! YAY! I'm super relieved if you can't tell!
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee for the good report!
Glad you got all good news!
(And if you're really not happy with your doc, now is the time to start searching for someone new...when things are calm...not when the S hits the fan!)
Wishing you all the best!
wyowyome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update. My contractions settled down A LOT and I began to really show about 2 weeks ago. It seems baby moved her head off the top of my cervix and more to my r lower abd- so she is more transverse than straight up and down. I feel WAY more comfortable like this- even w/ the big ol belly! I think her position was causing lots of my troubles!

I see my OB on tues at 30wks and get to do the glucose testing, etc. Then I will see her every 2 weeks from now on. CRAZY! I cannot believe we are here already! I've only got 8-10weeks left! YIKES!

I am feeling better this trimester than any of the others- so far- but I am starting to get really tender in a few belly areas where baby parts are poking too often.

I get short of breath easily, and I only get chores done about half as quick as I used to... which, in my house, means before anything is clean it's being dirtied again. DH is trying to step up- and I hate to feel lazy or whiny- but, damn- I am def. feeling this preg and it's kicking my butt physically this time!

It doesn't help that we just tore the house apart for all new carpeting, finished our basement (including painting, decor, etc), and both worked FT while doing so to finance it all! Just the thought makes me tired! I do feel bad, tho, when dh has to do all the heavy lifting! His back isn't great, but I think I'd be passed out on my face if I had to pack out carpet rolls, etc! It's enough that I bend over to pull the edges up and roll it, lol!

Feet & toes have puffed up on me a time or 2 w/ too much salt, but other than having aches & pains and being so TIRED- I am physically doing just fine.

Emotionally I am freaking out a bit. The kids are getting ready for baby- they aren't angry anymore. DH is way excited. I am trying to be ok with the idea but it still just doesn't feel real yet. I don't have a name I love yet- and feel really burned out on searching.

I know it will all come together soon enough, but I sure do feel like I'm running out of time! EEEK! Thanks for letting me vent- will let you know how my appt goes in 2 days (:
nata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it is going better with you..try not to worry too much about things, just let it go, it will all turn out really fine...Kids will adjust to the baby really quick. I find that the time flies now that SHE is with us..seems she was always here, with us. So don't worry too much, just take care of yourslef in these last few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: