HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you ever get a date night anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swedie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Do you ever get a date night anymore? Reply with quote

For those of you with three kiddos, just wondering if you ever get a date night with your hubbies anymore? This would not stop me from having a third child, but just curious if you do go out with your husband how you manage it? My mom will often watch our two boys (ages 4 and 18 months) but not sure what would happen with a third added to the mix...Also, how old are your kids if you do go out?
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. we have wonderful wonderful parents who help us out all the time. Often it's more like the odd afternoon out for lunch or shopping by ourselves instead of an evening out (bedtimes are too much for them to handle all 3) but still it's great to get away. My mom will take our 2 older overnight, and just having the baby for us feels like a vacation.

ages 3,2, 6mo
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never done date nights or even had a babysitter. We're kind of excited now that our little one is comfortable with preschool, that some morning dh might take off work so we can go out for breakfast after we drop all the kids off at school.
2blue1pink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have date nights, not regularly, but we get them.

My kids are 8, 6, and 2 years old. It ususally takes until the baby is about 2 before my parents will watch them overnight. Prior to that, they would keep them until bedtime and we would go out during the day.

My parents will take them (along with my brother's 4 kids, so that's a grand total of 7 kids. Ages 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4, and 2!). They keep the kids overnight about every 3 months or so. It's a wonderful break to get out to dinner and a movie, or whatever we want to do.

For my birthday present every year, I ask that they watch the kids, lol. That's all I want, a night out. That's enough gift. And they watch them on our anniversary as well.

I'm not terribly interested in paying for a baby sitter for a weekly date night. It's WAY too expensive. The kids go to bed early enough that DH and I can rent a movie together after they are in bed and not spend a million dollars. I just can't justify spending money for a sitter to go to the movies. And, I don't really trust someone else to watch such small children (especially a toddler).
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have 3 kids but have always gone on date nights with my DH....or more like date all day time together. My parents have always taken my boys for the entire day and at times when we want, overnight so we can get away. DH and I have been married over 18 years and spending time together has always been a priority and important to us. We generally go out together 1-2 times a week alone, minimum and always have done that since our boys were small. We really enjoy our time together and still do. I feel like our marriage is strong because of us investing into our relationship and if a 3rd came along, we still would take the time to do that. Thankfully God gave us my parents to do this for us as I know many do not have this awesome luxury!
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only have 2, but Dh and I get maybe 2 dates a year or so. Hopefully that will change soon. My parents live 4 hours away and our friends all work full time or have kids of their own. Hoping once my toddler gets better with his separation anxiety (around age 3 with my daugther, so 1 1/2 years to go!) we can get a sitter occasionally. I can only imagine it might be harder to get a sitter or parent to agree the more kids you have, although the older they get, the easier it should be for the sitter (I used to babysit 3 and 4 kids at a time, and didn't think much of it).
RockyMtnMom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we haven't started back up again since I have a nursing baby, I fully intend to renew our plan to swap services with my friend and neighbor across the street. She watches our children while we go out for an evening and I watch their children while she and her husband go out for an evening. I've asked her several times if she's still on board now that we have 3 and she says she's looking forward to getting some "baby time" in! She sees my children almost daily when we play outside and so even the baby is already used to her. If you can find a way to do this, it sure saves on babysitting costs!
threeunderthree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Yay Date Nights Reply with quote

We have three kiddies aged 8 months, 2 1/2 and just turned 4. My husband works overseas for five weeks at a time and so when he is home for his five weeks off we try to get out for a meal or to a movie/social occasion once a week.
Now that I bottle feeding and breast feeding it is much easier to get out of the house and not worry about having to rush home to a hungry baby.
Now that my baby boy is slightly more predictable we have a babysitter, she is wonderful. I pay her a flat rate which is on the higher side of the going rate. I try to get my baby down and then leave her to read and put the girls to bed.
It really doesn't make too much difference if you have two or three kids, as far as maintaing your date night. You are either going to be the sort of couple that makes it a priority or lets it slide.
We have found having three kids and the high stress and hectic nature of day in day out living, has made our date nights even more precious. For me getting dressed up and joining 'society' for the evening is so invigorating for the soul.
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome threeunderthree! I noticed that this is your first post. :)
2purpleflowers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't schedule regular nights out, but we do get out for a date every now and then. My MIL is great with the kids and lives about an hour from us. She even takes them overnight, and this past summer, for our 10-year anniversary, she took them for a whole week while we went away!

I have not left any of my kids overnight, though, under age 2. And getting away for a night out when you have a nursing infant (or toddler) is harder. But that time goes by fast... Mine are now 7, 4 1/2, and 2 1/2, and I finished nursing about 5 months ago. It's much, much easier to get away now.

I too am not going to be one who pays a babysitter for nights out. I feel really blessed that my MIL is not only willing, but pretty much itching to take them for us.
thinkingof3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I haven't posted in here in awhile and this is the first post I saw! Tonight is our first date night in FOREVER! My mother in law always offers to watch our kids for us but we are so busy all the time. We finally are taking her up on her offer tonight!
Pepper100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have wonderful parents who will take my children either during the day or overnight if we want to. It won't make a difference to them that there will be an extra one in a few months.

We usually go shopping by ourselves which is nice because it is more relaxing, we get to spend some time together and we can go out for lunch or we get some jobs done at home which is still nice as it is just the 2 of us.

We can go out on a fairly regular basis if we wanted but as we are just as happy renting a movie and enjoying a takeaway, we tend to do that as our kids are in bed early so it doesn't matter.

When we do go out and my parents have them we get a lie in, in the morning.

DH's parents will also come and sit while we go out but they come to our house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: