HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need advice feeling like a mess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: need advice feeling like a mess Reply with quote

This isn't really baby related(even though I still really want one more and my husband doesn't so just have to live with it I guess). But need to get some thoughts. Not sure where to start. I've been feeling like a complete mess. Over the past year I've gained 30 lbs- not sure if it's from nothing or it's my age(I'm 36) or what. But everytime I step on the scale I gain. So then I get depressed because none of my clothes fit me and I feel like a stuffed piggy all day. I want to go shopping and buy new clothes but don't want to stay the size I am but at the same time I can't really fit in the clothes I have. So that's one part then the other part is I feel very emotional anything can make me cry some days. I have two very active boys 2 and 3 and work full time which leaves very little time for just me. I've thought of going to the Drs. but part of me feels like really stupid for going maybe there's nothing wrong with me. My husband just doesn't get it. So I'm hoping some of you can relate to me and help me.
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First...a big hug to you.
Second. Get to the doctor and get a full check up and a complete thyroid panel checked!
I'll write more later...need to chase my tasmanian devil!
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, sounds to me like it could be an underactive thyroid (hypothyroid)...I have an overactive thyroid, graves disease...and it made me at times and today can STILL makes me a wreck. I can say this....thyroid related issues CAN be helped, along with meds if needed, through exercise and diet and stress reduction is also key. In my case I realized that dairy/calcium anything enlarges my thyroid and makes me worse...sugar aggravates it to no end and with exercise....it truly is a hormone regulator and helps the thyroid balance better...plus the added benefit of keeping fit. :-) I have dealt with my thyroid issues, along with other health issues for decades and its no fun. Being treated sooner, rather then later truly is important if you have this issue. Good Luck!
opal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had bloodwork done in the past for my thyroid but it always come up ok. But maybe I should have it checked out again. Not sure if I should see my regular doctor or see an Endocrinologist because from things I've heard many regular doctors only go by bloodwork.

Thanks for the help ladies.

Yes, I do need to get back into exercising too.
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine only showed up after 10 years, because it was not easily able to be diagnosed...it is believed to be the reason my heart is wrecked. On the positive side...thyroid issues can truly be helped, if that is what you have and it isn't showing up with the help of diet and exercise. Just don't assume because it doesn't show up that you don't have it. Good Luck!
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever feel like being uncomfortable in those tight clothes makes you want to eat more, LOL?

I have not fit into clothes that I want to be in since 4 years ago b/f I was pregnant with #1. I am constantly in this inbetween maternity and my post pregnancy clothes. I have 7 pds to go, but I teeter back and forth b/t staying on plan and eating brownies when I am stressed. So, yes, I can relate!

try and exercise if you can. it will help your overall perspective even if the number on the scale doesn't change, though your clothes are bound to fit better if you do.

and go to the dr. if you something in you is telling you there might be something else. years ago, I just knew something wasn't right with me and I went....turns out I was struggling with depression and I just didn't know it. I knew it, but I needed someone else to validate it, ya know? anyways, point is...go with your gut!
Mom2A&J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry you are feeling frustrated. The weight loss ride can be so overwhelming. It feels almost inevitable that after you have kids you end up with the "mommy-body". I am much like you - I have 2 very busy kids and a new infant, I work full-time and don't have a lot of extra time for just me. I have recently returned to a program I started a few years back after DS was born. It is called Spark People (www.sparkpeople.com). It is a free website and helps me track my calorie intake, workouts and weight loss. It has tons of articles, recipes and motivation. It has helped me take back control of my weight loss. It also has a sister-site for healthy living during pregnancy.

Although I agree you should have your primary care doc check you out for any possible medical issues just to be sure, it is not uncommon for women in their 30's to start having a slowing metabolism and weight gain. Spark People has made me much more aware of all the little calories I take in (the rest of DD's goldfish, the half cookie DS left, etc). Now that I am aware of my extra calories, I am seeing the weight come off. Plus I am motivated to work out 6-7 days a week - it has just become a priority. It means getting up before anyone else is awake, but it makes me feel so good for the whole day and starts my day off healthy.

Best of luck getting this all figured out.
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, I can SO relate! I have mommy-body and all of my children were adopted!! Haha. I've put on about 30 pounds since dd3 came home 3 years ago, and I had gained a bit in between dd2 and dd3 also. Depressing. I believe my biggest problem is that I'm stressed and rushed most of the time so I eat off the kids plates. Usually as I'm clearing the table anything left on their plates goes in my mouth. SO gross. On top of the meal I just ate. I'm trying to get back on track. I once lost a significant amount of weight and I've gained a good portion of it back. But I'm determined to lose it again and keep it off. For me, I pretty much just need to keep track of every bit of food that goes in my mouth. I also try really hard not to drink any calories...ie. soda. Good luck to you...I hope you can get yourself back and feel better. We moms take care of everyone but ourselves, it seems. <<hugs>>
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take heart Mom's out there....honestly while the 30's DO bring slower metabolisms and small kids to raise while affording little time to actually exercise to stay in shape....thyroid aside....as the kids get older it will be easier to find time for YOU and you CAN get back into shape. While life will always be hectic, I can say from experience with two almost teen boys....mine will be 13 and 15 next month....there is a whole lot more time to exercise today. I am 39 and a size 3....110 pounds....pretty good for an old, Laugh, Just kidding... gal like me...LOL..postpartum and when my kids were small...can you believe I was almost a size 15/16? And I had an overactive thyroid and lost weight then it went the other way, underactive briefly after taking meds....YIKES! So there is hope for you all struggling with weight issues...believe me I have been there. Ironically I was NEVER smaller then a size 9/10 as a teen and young adult and I would have NEVER been considered small by any means. As my kids grew up...I decided to begin an exercise plan just hoping to get back to that size...with regular eating healthy wise, NOT dieting at all-no joking...and exercise daily I have been easily able to keep to a size 3-4. So whatever you all do do NOT give up hope that you HAVE to keep the Mommy body....just find a passion, mine is outdoor bicycling...and just do it and your body/weight/health will be what it should be for you.....everyone is different and you will be the best YOU, you can be. Just don't give up.....cause it is possible to look great even as we age!!!!!!
J&Wsmommy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opal, I just wanted to say that I feel for you so much. I hope that you can find some answers. We are also not having any more children, and I think that decision (which wasn't entirely mine and came about because of upsetting circumstances) was causing me more grief than I consciously realized. I went to my doctor for bloodwork, too, and all was normal. I have ended up taking some low-dose antidepressants. It has helped me SO MUCH. I didn't like the idea of medicating myself, but I realized that I didn't want to continue being unhappy when I have so much to be happy about. It has also given me a lot more energy and I am able to exercise now, which helps a ton as well. I am a VERY non-athletic person but have started running and it's almost as good as therapy. :D I wish you the very best. I know what a hard place it is and you WILL get out of it, even though it may not seem that way right now. Brighter days ahead!!! (((HUGS)))
RockyMtnMom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you...when I read your post, the first thing I thought, before reading anyone else's post was...have your thyroid checked. It may be fine, then change, so to have it checked again, wouldn't hurt. I would go directly to an endocrinologist though, if you can. The "normal" range varies depending on how strict the doctor is about where "normal" lies. I found out I have a thyroid issue (Hashimoto's Disease) and once I started taking synthroid, so many things changed for the better. Thinking of you and good luck...keep your head up!
opal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your all your thoughts!! It's good to know I'm not alone.

I found an endocrinologist doctor to go to now I just need to make the phone call to make an appointment.
opal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update: I decided to go to my Gyn Dr. went there yesturday, he ran a bunch of bloodwork won't find out the results until Monday. Until then he had me stop taking my BC pills saying sometimes people feel worse on them, So I'll see how that goes if I feel better or worse or the same and go from there. Just hate waiting till Monday the results will really be back on Friday but he's off so have to wait till Monday. I'm trying to get my husband help clean the house more which will give me sometime to exercise. Wish me luck in that- lol (getting my husband to help clean and stick to it)...
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opal,
hoping some answers will be found. I'd agree with your doc in stopping the OCPs for a few cycles to see if things improve. During that time, also get on a good multivitamin for woman and also take a B 50 Complex vitamin (which will contain good amounts of all your B's especially B6 and B12 that birth control pills can deplete). You might want to also add in 2000 units of Vitamin D3 daily.

I know for a fact that OCPs messed me up BIG time. My husband won't ever let me go back on them. He's done having kids, but I think he's willing to take that chance rather than have me so affected by the pills or any other hormones.

Good luck!
opal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the results of my bloodwork done everything was normal.

I actually already do feel better from not being on BCpills. Still a little emotional here and there but do feel alot better overall. Can't believe those pills can mess one up so much.

Mommmy2-2, thanks for the advice about the vitamins I am taking vitamin d and vitamin b so I guess I'm on the right road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: