HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kids waking up earlier and earlier, pulling my hair out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillychick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: kids waking up earlier and earlier, pulling my hair out! Reply with quote

Good morning friends!
I would say since we took a cruise in mid August and came home, it created sleep issues in our house that we have been battling ever since. My 2 3/4 year old (Devon) discovered how to climb out of the pack and play while on the ship, so that continued when we got home with climbing out of the crib and also waking in the middle of the night wanting someone in her room with her. She was a CHAMPION sleeper since 6 months old, never gave us an issue about going down for sleep, leaving her crib, morning wakings, anything. So we dealt with the climbing by transitioning her into her own bed in our almost 5 year old's room since we planned on having them share a room anyway as we need Devon's old's room for the new baby. In the interim Devon also decided to stop napping. We are caught in a bad situation of overtiredness and early morning wakings, each morning in the past couple of weeks she seems to be waking up earlier and earlier, went from 7am to now 5 am. The worst part is she will then wake her sister up. I put them to bed at 7pm and 7:30pm as both are a cranky mess at that point, but it doesn't seem to be helping with the morning. My almost 5 year old also woke up at 2am last night and came in our room, I walked her right back to her bed! They both come in our room now when they wake up, if it is before 6am I walk them back to their beds and tell them to go back to sleep it is still night time! I don't know if they fall back asleep or not. They both go to preschool 5 mornings per week from 9:15am to 1pm, I worry so much that they need their sleep as do I! I ofcourse am hoping to fix this by the time the new baby is here or I will lose my mind. I don't know if the little one is waking up earlier and earlier in order to come in my room? I keep telling them they will not be allowed in if they won't lay back down, also there is some bunny clock I was considering getting for 40 bucks on Amazon that apparantly is supposed to help young kids learn when they can get out of bed. I am so tired as it is at 32 weeks and waking up just from the uncomfortable positions I'm in trying to get sleep! Anyone else dealing with this, or if you have how did you fix the problem? I am re-reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" which was a great book that I believe helped me with Devon as a baby, (my older child is another story, had to do lots of sleep training with her and cry it out) and he says for the early morning wakings to put the kid to bed earlier. It does not seem to be making a difference in this morning cycle, she took a nap on Wed and I put her to bed around 7:30 and she was still up at 5 thirty. Why am I having another child?!!!!!!!! *pounding head against wall*
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email today about the bunny clock--on sale now for $18. You might give it a try. I've heard it works well. http://kids.woot.com/
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have but a minute earlier, but I thought it was funny that I just checked my email and had a friend raving about that clock, so I posted it really quickly.

We are dealing with the exact same thing as you with our 2.5 yo. He is still in a crib but does climb out millions of times at bedtime. For 2 days now he has not napped which did help with bedtime last night (he was out in 10 minutes) but he is still waking early. He will often wake at 5 or 6. DH does morning shift since I still have a night waking baby, and he will put him back in his room, or let him lay with him on the couch. Sometimes he will go back to sleep but it is rarely after 7am.

With each kid I get more and more relaxed and more and more of the mindset of do what works and will get you the most sleep. But, that's b/c I have had 3 kids back to back and haven't really slept in about 4 years, so I'm getting less and less disciplined.

DS also has a bed in his room which we are waiting for him to transition into. If it were me, I'd go in there and sleep in the bed and tell DS to go back to sleep. My DH sees that as a step back b/c we've transitioned him to his own bed in several stages after cosleeping as an infant, but honestly, if I were pregnant, I would do what I needed to to get the most sleep.

It sounds like you are looking for something to "do" in order to change this and change it fast, and I understand that. Be encouraged that thankfully, stages and seasons really don't last forever, and it sounds to me like she is in a big stage of transitioning with dropping her nap and it's just gonna be a little wonky for a couple of weeks. Esp. with her in school, I think you'll be fine putting her to sleep EARLY! I just put my 2 to bed at 6:45 b/c they had no naps today. Don't kids this age need like 12+ hours of sleep? Mine would be melting down by 7:30 as well.

Hang in there!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: