HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intro and a ques! :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillychick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: intro and a ques! :) Reply with quote

Hi!
My name is Lisa Marie, I am expecting baby# 3 by the end of November (C section scheduled for Nov 28th but I am hoping I go into labor a little earlier) currently I have a little girl who will be 5 years old mid November and a second little girl who will be 3 at the end of December. This last baby is a BOY, we were very surprised! :) This third baby was planned although most days I question whether it was a good idea! I have alot of anxiety that I can handle this, I am a SAHM and my girls are a handful. They do go to preschool 5 mornings a week from 9:15 am to 1pm, it is nice to have that break and I will miss it. My question is to the parents on here with kids in school you have to drop off and pick up, how do you get everyone out the door in the morning plus having to time the feeding and packing up of a newborn? I feel like it takes us to the very last possible second to get out of the door in the morning and make it for drop off, the girls are up around 6:30 and by the time teeth are brushed, clothes are on, breakfast is made, lunch is packed, etc it is 8:45am and I'm still yelling to urge them to get their shoes on, comb their hair, etc! I know I'm going to have to get a bit more organized and try to get them to be more independent, just stressing about this bigtime. I plan on breastfeeding and not sure how that will work out with this whole morning routine, if I remember correctly it took a good 30 min to nurse my girls when all was said and done. When do things get easier? I dread the sleep deprivation that will be coming! My girls are so used to me doing alot for them, taking them to kid fun places in the afternoons, playgrounds, etc and it will be hard to keep them entertained and not fighting in the house in the afternoon. My husband works long hours (8am to about 7pm) so pretty much he is not much help during the work week :(
wyowyome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATS on your lil man! Boys LOOOVE their mamas... so u are sure to enjoy this lil guy (:

I am expecting #3 the 16th of Nov-(my first girl)... but would be just fine with a Halloween baby, too! I haven't DONE 3 yet- but I have given your question some thought.

My only plan is to SIMPLIFY! Remember not to be so hard on yourself. Do baths every other night. Dress them in their clean school clothes as PJs if U have to! Set their bags/coats/etc at the door the eve before.

Muster the strength one morning a week to make french toast, boiled or scrambled eggs in bulk and refrigerate it for quick breakfasts. If you run out- cereal time! It's also ok to have cereal for other meals... and it's also ok to make crackers/cheese/pepperoni bags and have them eat them in the car on the way to school for breakfast (:

Breastfeeding can be tricky- but I will "cross-train" my baby from the start to bottle. I will also let this one cry sometimes... and take a deep breath and realize she can eat when I get HOME from dropping off siblings, etc. No one will die! And if the sibs think she might- then they can hold the bottle for her enroute to our destination! Delegation is key!

Do you work? If not- be sure to SLEEP when baby does. Don't clean- SLEEP. Then you can spend afternoons w/ enough energy to play w/ your girls. This is just a phase of your life in which u need to give yourself permission to be less of a housekeeper. It will pass quickly.

Hoping I can follow my own advice here... but these are my plans for this time around. I've had 6 yrs to think about it, as my boys are 8 &6 now! And I want to be more relaxed and take time to enjoy this last lil ones milestones. Good luck to you! hope to keep hearing from you!
BABYPINK3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything wyowyome just said.... very inspiring.
I'm only 7wks pregnant and already thinking the same questions.
I think convience items will definatley get me through the first 6 months. I'm getting a cleaner, getting groceries home delivered. there is going to be frozen meals in the freezer and hey, everyone is just going to have to get used to it.
BEST OF LUCK!
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree with simplifying and trying to get as much as possible done the night before. Also, your kids might be at an age that they can do some things themselves. If you have dishes on the table ready to go for breakfast, the girls may be able to get their own cereal. For lunch packing, could you pack a sandwich the night before and put it in the fridge, and then have other items down low that they can reach and put together their own lunch bag. For example, they could grab an ice pack, their sandwich, a juice/milk box, one container of fruit (applesauce, mandarin oranges, peaches, etc.), and maybe an individually wrapped snack like goldfish, pretzels, cookies, etc. Then have napkins and plastic spoons down low where they can reach them to throw one in their lunchbag. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching kids to be self sufficient. My kids can even get their own toothbrushing supplies ready and brush their teeth with minimal supervision...I keep the dixie cups, flossers, and toothpaste down low. I've taught them how to squeeze a small dot of toothpaste on the brushes. Maybe your 5 year old could learn to do that. Also, after every meal I've started to put a dishpan of soapy water on the kitchen table. The girls scrape their plates into the trash, wash their own dishes and put them in the dishpan, and then wash their spot at the table and their chair. Even my 4 year old does a great job at this, and the girls love washing dishes so much that they fight over washing each others' dishes!! :) Lay out clothes and shoes the night before. And also, I go around and comb each of my girls' hair as they're eating breakfast. Haha.

If you're looking for a great, quick breakfast idea, I make what I call egg cups and store them in the fridge in a gallon ziploc bag. They keep for several days and can be eaten hot or cold.

Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Crumble either a 1/2 slice of pre-cooked bacon or 1/2 sausage link in the bottom of each cup (I microwave the bacon or sausage first, not to completely cook thru but just to thaw and heat up a bit), crack an egg into each cup, and then crumble up 1/4 slice of american cheese in each cup. Stir each cup with a fork to break the yolks and mix the ingredients, then bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Great and so convenient for the rest of the week!

Good luck...you can do it!!
CAN'TDECIDE!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lisa Marie...ironically my name is the exact same as you! :-) Congrats on your new baby! I have just 2 kids, 13 and 15 years old this month...ugh....no matter what struggles you have juggling it all...just know every moment is worth it. I actually miss those days....but simplicity and organization is key with no matter how many kids you have to keep things running smoothly. Welcome to the forum!
jaime28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on the impending arrival!!
I too, lost alot of sleep worrying about all the what ifs, and all the logistics. DH always said "No point in stressing now" (easier said then done, but very true) And always thought/reassured me that the older 2 would be a big help (which pre-3, I never believed was possible) Well turns out he was sort of right!!! (Mine were 5 and 3 when the baby came) And they were amazing!!! First of all, the pressure was SO off me because they had eachother (vs going from 1 to 2), once in the "Trenches" its surprising how much they can actually do on their own with a bit of help. And secondly, that new baby somehow senses they are the 3rd and sort of go with the flow. They have no choice...They must learn to wait and be patient (which really, is a virtue right?) and they get pretty accustomed to being dragged everywhere (mine did anyways)
When I had a 3rd, DS was in FT school 9-330 and DD had pre school 2 days a week but in the afternoons - this was so I could have a "break" alone with just the baby. Looking back, it was NOT a break in any way shape or form, LOL. I hauled a*% those days, but I was damn orgnanized (having 3 who are all on different sorts of schedules you have NO other choice)
My theory is EASY - Everything is done the night before. Plain and Simple. Yes, I am tired at night but it takes me a fraction of the time with nobody hanging off of me and involves NO stress because I am not rushing in the AM.
Clothes are always laid out the night before for me and the kids (if the elders weren't dressing themselves pre baby, they will be now, LOL)
Lunches are packed in the fridge already, and everything is lined up at the door. Pack pack (packed with whatever they need, agenda, books etc, shoes, jackets, hats, whatever, (even my stuff!) In the early nursing days, I even put out out the kids bowls and spoons and filled them with dry cereal (covered in saran wrap) While I was feeding the baby - all DS had to do was pour the milk!
Also, we all get dressed before coming downstairs, and before I go down, I put the toothpaste on their toothbrushes, so when I'm either with the baby or cleaning up - they just go back up and do their teeth.
Having 3 means there are a few more things you can control (routine, who is eating what/when) and there are few things you give up (actually watching them do their teeth and taking the chance with the 5 year old pouring the milk!) But I was off for a year, and we were on time, if not early most mornings (barring no major set backs) and I have continued this now that I am working Full Time. DH always laughs at my little line up of shoes, purses, back packs, but it WORKS!!! My mornings are a breeze and I swear easier then the 5pm timeframe (but hey, at least then I can drink wine, wink)
Dont stress, enjoy these last moments....Somehow it all "just works" and you can never imagine only ever having 2 again.
phillychick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies thank you so much. I am not the most organized person but I've gotten better and better being not only do we have the 2 girls right now but also 2 dogs (Bullmasttiffs) so in the craziness of the morning I let them outside in the yard, refill food and waterbowls, pick up toys and books on the way out so nothing gets chewed out of curiosity or boredom (this happens once and a while, mostly books). Walkbyfaith thank you for the egg cup recipe! I'll try to let go abit with the cleaning and the monitoring of the little things-- brushing teeth, getting dressed, pouring milk, etc that will be hard but I will probably be so tired it won't be too difficult to let go. I am really hoping this baby is easy going like my 2nd one was!
wyowyome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol about the dogs. We, too, have a house full! 2 big, wild dogs: 80lbs & 65lbs!, a cat, and 2 rats! I think it just shows how well you are capable of tolerating chaos- and that this 3rd will just sync right into your mix!

I have to agree with making sure your kids are stepping up to do what they are able to! This will make things much easier on you (and them) when baby arrives!

A few things I expect mine to do, just as an example: dump all the bathroom trash cans into the big kitchen trashbag once a week when I clean bathrooms, empty the dishwasher (minus the glass/knives)- I put their plastic dishes in a low cupboard so they can put them away and get their own breakfast dishes, etc!, make their beds/clean their rooms once/wk, feed the dogs or let them in/out of the house, water their rats, dress themselves, etc... It's actually amazing that they CAN do some of the things they'd like me to believe they CAN'T...

And you do have to learn to let go a lot... like if they dress themselves... just let them wear what doesn't match if it's clean and weather-appropriate! If they spill the milk... show them how to clean it up! I smile thinking of the day I awoke to my vacume running... my 5 year old had spilled cereal on the kitchen tile and was vacuming away (: He CAN be taught!
shouldwego4it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not super organized at all and for me the newborn stage was super easy. She just slept all the time--and nursed all the time (So I did spend lots of time in the car nursing her in parking lots after picking up or dropping off one of the older two). At the time I had one in preschool twice a wk and the older one in Kindergarten 5 half days.

Mine are currently, 7, 5 and 22 mths. The hardest for us was having a November birthday newborn--all three were really sick in January. One had pneumonia, one had high fevers and the newborn had RSV. So the only thing I would do is be vigilant about having the older kids wash hands after coming home from school and not touching the baby's hands. I feel like the hardest part of having 3 is when the baby is big enough to move around and isn't content to be held anymore, but by then you've had three kids and are used to managing three. Congrats, stop stressing and enjoy the pregnancy and your two girls-this is the time to really focus on them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: