HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby Names: what do you think of...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Baby Names: what do you think of... Reply with quote

Let's brainstorm name ideas for the babies-to-be!

What do you think of Vader for a boy? We have a short list of baby names for both genders and Vader is one suggestion I'm really humming and hawing about. DH is mostly Dutch, Vader (pronounced "fah-der" in holland) means Father..we'd pronounce it how it's spelled in a North American fashion, "vay-der". DH really loves it, every time we discuss boys names he brings up Vader in his top three. I think it's a very strong sounding, masculine name... Problem is Darth Vader - and we're not Star Wars fans! lol. When you hear Vader, do you immediately think of Star Wars?

My top three boys names (which both DH & I love) are Phoenix, Casper and Silas. Phoenix is the name we had been set on until I started brainstorming other ideas in this pregnancy. Our last name ends with an "s", do you think that the first name (Silas) ending with an "s" also would be too much "sssss" in a name?
Thanks for any input.

Last edited by StrwbrryMmmy on Sat May 26, 2012 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but yep, Darth Vader...
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be sorry about it! I keep telling DH that everyone would associate Vader with Darth Vader but he disagrees. Too bad George Lucas was a few decades quicker than my DH ;) lol
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader does make me think of Darth Vader, but so what? It wouldn't take long until people would associate Vader with your sweet boy. :) Another V name I love is Vaughn. I really like Silas. I think it would be fine with an S-ending last name. I like Phoenix...makes me think of the bird. Casper might evoke a lot of ghost jokes, but I think it would be awesome with a nickname of Cass. :) My all time favorite boys name is Zian (pronounced ZEE-un). I would call him Zizi as a nickname. If I had ever had a boy I think that would have been the name.
swedie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Sorry, I think of Darth Reply with quote

Could be because my oldest son is obsessed with Darth Vader, but when you posted that name that's immediately what I thought of. I love the name Phoenix though, definitely a name that would grow with a child... Good luck in your decision!
wyowyome

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, think of Darth Vader...and worry if the kids would tease him for that since they keep reviving Star Wars? Doesn't help that he was the legendary "bad" guy.

Maybe you could work with the sounds of it and find something similar? Hmmm..??? I got nothing!

Naming is so difficult. It's hard to find something both parents can agree on that flows with the last name, doesn't create bad initials, and grows with a person! Ugh!

I worry Silas might be too much with S on last name? Our last name has "K" in it (start and end), and although the "K" sound works well at the beginning of first names, when placed at the end it just runs into the beginning of the last name and it's hard to tell when the first name ends and the last name begins. Pretend u are calling for that person in a social group- Kyke Curtis (sounds like Kycurtis) is harder to pronounce well than say, Chris Curtis. Does that make sense?

I do like Phoenix, because it is common enough not to be picked apart or teased about, but uncommon enough that I do not know one personally.

Casper makes me think of the ghost...but he WAS a good ghost (: I do like the Casp sound. Maybe play with that one, too, and find a similar sounding name you both like? I worked with a flight paramedic once who's name was Kaspen...thought that had a neat sound to it!

Good luck to you! I remember all too well how difficult the decision was (:
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, ladies! I get what you mean about repetitive letter sounds, wyowyome. The girls have S names and with that S sound at the start of their first names and then at the end of our surname it sounds really great. Those duplicate sounds are broken up enough. If that S sound was in their names for a third time it would be a bit overkill..and what if the kiddo has a lisp! Silas is out unfortunately although it's an awesome name, it means "man of the woods" - we're outdoorsy so it would've been great..the more I say it though, the more the ssss bothers me.
Casper..the friendly ghost. I'm sure they'd make a remake of the movie if we named him that and then the kiddo's generation would think ghost too.
Phoenix sounds and flows the best with the full name or when said with just our surname. The story of the Phoenix and its meaning is essentially rebirth, we like it. We'll stick with that name for a boy - why I started brainstorming other ideas for a boy, who knows!

We're pretty particular. Meaning behind the name is a must. Our daughters have somewhat uncommon two syllable names, starting with an S and ending with a consonant - strong sounding but very feminine names. We don't like names that are too frilly - must end in a consonant sound no "ah"s or "ee" at the end. We use family names for middle names and flow is important.

So if it's a girl.. I like Seren ("sair-en") the best, it flows wonderfully with the full name or when said with just our last name. Seren is Welsh for star. It's very popular in the UK but relatively unheard of on this side of the ocean. My DH isn't sure about the name but would agree to naming our possible dd3 it. Would it be fair to name our daughter a name that my DH isn't totally certain of? He says it's fine since our eldest was his choice, our second was decided upon together and our third could be my choice..I can't find anything else that fits our strict criteria for girls names that I really love but I'd like him to absolutely love the name too. He has NO ideas for girl names. Now that he's off the twin kick, he is sure that baby is a girl but doesn't seem to care much about thinking of a name for her. Men..I tell ya! ;)

Shorty, have you decided on a name for your boy or are you still throwing around options?

Rosie, what are your ideas?

Who else is pregnant? Who else just loves thinking of names? (me, me!)
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Seren. I think it's pretty and accessible because it's similar to Sarah, kind of like how lots of girls are named Gracen now.

The last letter of my first name and first letter of my last name are both Ms. They run together but it's not so bad. If you like a name similar to Silas that doesn't end in s you could always try Simon.

As for the possibility of a lisp...I had to laugh about that. My dd just started speech therapy this year in 2nd grade because she has difficulty saying "R"s. The speech therapist said she cracked up when she saw poor dd's name...first name starts with R. Last name has two "er" sounds in it. Our street name starts with R and is a Road, not a street. Poor girl! Figures....
Shorty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Darth Vader comes to mind. Maybe in 20 years, the association will die out. And yes Casper the ghost. Phoenix is nice and so is Silas.

But, from experience having an odd name is not that bad, tough in younger years but once you get older it partially defines you, sets you apart ect.

Try correctly pronouncing 'Micheil'

Kudos to those of you who get it right.

We like very traditional strong masculine names, William, Alex, that's all we have come up with so far.
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very popular name. I was usually one of three girls in the class with the same name resulting in my last initial being attached to my first name all throughout my public school days..I hated it and I'd hate for one of my children to have that experience. I didn't feel like an individual with my name; it's such a huge part of ones identity. If i could've renamed myself I would've but what name would suit me other than the one I had since birth? My DH had a similar experience. It's been very important to us to give our children first names that are quite unique but not too over the top..they always have their traditional middle names to fall back on but with how well their names suit them I don't foresee that happening :) Naming can be difficult! DH and I have chatted further, baby 3 will definitely be baby Phoenix or baby Seren!

I can pronounce Micheil! Quebecois? That's traditionally a male name..would be a great name to pass along to your baby boy!! Maybe a middle name?

Andrew, Christopher, Corbin, Ephraim, Griffin, Jackson, Jason, James, Joshua - I'm on a J kick apparently. Micah, Timothy, Thomas..
Rosie12

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Seren. Not sure its very popular in the UK - I'd never heard of it before! (May be it is in Wales?!). I guess the only issue is spelling - my DD has an unusual name and no one ever spells it correctly, which is a bit irritating after a while.

I love the name William for a boy cos it makes me think of the Just William books. Phoenix is very cool. To me it conjures up pictures of someone laid back and relaxed (not sure why!)

I really like the name Clemence for a girl, but DH hates it. We are a bit stuck on boys names. I like Harry, but it is in the top 5 names used in the UK. I also like Daniel, but not sure if that is a bit too old fashioned.

I really like quite unusual names (with a meaning) that you can shorten to something more usual (and preferably ending in an "ie" for a girl when shortened, eg, "Clemmie") but perhaps I am being a bit too particular now...
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, popular in Wales but also on the list in England. I was iffy about the spelling but spelled any other way wouldn't have the same meaning. Being half Welsh myself, it's neat to pass along a name that is Welsh :)
From Wiki:
Seren is a Welsh male and female name meaning "star". It has become a popular girls name and was the third most popular name for baby girls born in Wales in 2009[1] and in 2010 Seren was the 5th most popular name in Wales and 288 most popular name in England.[2]

Clemence. Hmm..what about Clementine? Cecilia? Caprice? Caprice was one of my faves before dd1 was born but DH absolutely hated it (and still does!) Josephine? Baby Josie!
Oscar? Felix? Tobias?

Edit: my goodness! Spellcheck just butchers some names.

Last edited by StrwbrryMmmy on Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rosie12

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, actually like Caprice, but it is the name of a minor celebrity in the UK who I would not want to name a child after!
Pepper100

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think that out of your choices for boys, Phoenix would be my favourite too. I love the name Seren. I also live in the UK and have never heard of it.

[b]Rosie12[/b] I named my new baby boy (DS2), Daniel. I like that it is a traditional name but isn't as popular as it once was. DD and DS1 both have traditional names but are also popular and although I love them and they suit them perfectly, DD has 2 others in her year at school and DS1 has 1 other in his nursery class.

I have another reason for calling him this name too. I had a childhood boyfriend when I was 10 and he was called Daniel (also 10). We didn't go to the same school so lost touch. When we were both 14, Daniel was walking through the streets near my house with some friends. He decided that as they had nothing to do, they would come to my house to see if I still lived there. I was there, met back up with Daniel and he introduced me to his friends one of which was my DH. The rest, as they say, is history.

I love thinking of baby names. Must have another just so I can do it all again :lol: .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: