HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A dog on top of three kids!!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhysjglimmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: A dog on top of three kids!!? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've lost it. I got my kids a dog and he is making me crazy. We've had him a month and he just destroys things. Chews and pees in the house. I've taken time to train him and he has caught on to "sit" and catches the ball and frisbee but when he's bored he is awful.

Anyone else know how to manage three kids and a dog? [/b]
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's still a puppy, it's really like having another kid..heck even when they're full grown they're like kids too!
I have two large breed dogs, we've always had two even before children. We adopted our boy at 6mos when our ODD was just three weeks old, we also had an adult dog at the time too. Our old gal went to sleep before YDD was born and a year and a half ago we rescued another female to fill the gap in our normally two dog home. Now I have 5yr/o and 4.5yr/o fur babies, and 4.5 yr/o, 3yr/o and a soon to be born people babies :)
It takes a lot of patience, especially when you're training them. They need lots of love and guidance (just like the kiddos!). Lots of physical exercise and mental stimulation (hiding treats in toys, different objects to chew etc). I highly recommend crate training, it gives the dog a 'safe place' for when the craziness of the kids gets to be too much for him/her!
Dogs teach kids great responsibility. Mine already feed our dogs twice a day, and have fun making them do their tricks. I can't wait until they're old enough to clean up puppy poo-poos lol.
It will get easier as puppy gets older, I promise :) Good luck and enjoy pup!
Mama Erin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 kids, 2 dogs and 4 chickens. I refer to my house as the bottomless pit of need. I have to say, though, I often advocate for getting 2 dogs. Sounds crazy when you already have one that you are struggling with but I feel like 2 is easier than 1. I'm not looking forward to the puppy phase again- my neighbor has a lab puppy and he's a nightmare. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: