HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Third Pregnancy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased one pack of newborn diapers the month before I got the BFP, but other than that I haven't bought anything. Just before we conceived I gave away a couple of big ticket items to my SIL and a close friend who is a single mom, I figured since they were in need I'd only hog the items I absolutely loved.

I still have:
-bassinet
-play pen
-crib mattress
-change table
-baby bath tub
-swing
-jolly jumper
-a bunch of baby toys
-most of my girl's & some gender neutral clothes
-moby wrap and a snuggli

I will need before baby arrives:
-car seat
-car seat snuzzler and blankie bag
-bouncy chair
-a few boy sleepers & onesies in case it is a boy
-single stroller (maybe..I have an awesome double jogger.)
I will need 8-10 mos from now:
-crib & crib sheets
-high chair
-excersaucer

I plan on doing some shopping over the summer, no real rush yet :) First item will be the car seat..speaking of which, car seat question! These are the ones I've been eyeballing. Has anyone had one of these? Reviews?
- maxi cosi mico http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11892152
- safety 1st onboard air http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11862911
-Lamaze via http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12066602
I didnt know lamaze made carseats, i wonder how the quality is? The base looks huge and even though i have a fair bit of room between the girl's carseats in my truck i cant have something too huge. I still have to go and see them in person, hoping for a nice light one! I had a safety 1st for my girls, it was nice and light and well padded but not half as fancy looking as that new safety 1st one..amazing how things can change in just a couple years.

Happy shopping y'all ;)

Edit: Thanks for asking about shopping, I needed to make a list! Sorry for such a lengthy post. I'll definitely have to print that off for myself :)
Rosie12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had my 20 week scan this week and everything was fine (phew!). Did n't find out the sex. Took DD with me (DS was ill) and she was really excited about it all.

So I have just got out all the bedding I had from DCs to wash and also found a lot of newborn reusable nappies which I'd forgotten I kept (I am afraid I gave up with these last time, but I am determined to try again this time). I have my eyes on a cute Fisherprice playcentre and need a new cot/mattress and that's about it (this is where being a hoarder and never throwing things away has come in useful).

Hope everyone else is doing ok.
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear that baby looks good, Rosie! I have my 20week scan this afternoon, I'm very nervous that something may be wrong.. I have no reason to suspect that I won't have a healthy baby in there but I've lost many hours of sleep over it this last week. Paranoid mommy hormones perhaps? On a really positive note, today is my YDD's third birthday. I can't believe my 'baby' is growing up! And my DH is home! He got in yesterday and will be home until Monday. It's so nice having him here for the scan and her bday.
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby looked great!!! Is measuring a very proportionate 19w1d, 10 days behind what it "should" be so the tech said i may or may not have my due date adjusted. I had figured that my eggy implanted late so no worries there if I'm bumped..This kiddo will come when s/he wants to regardless!
Off for a swim and then YDD's choice of restaurant. I hope you all are doing well :)
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strwbrrymmmy,
Great news on healthy baby!!!
And Happy Birthday to your YDD!
Rosie12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you will have had a lovely weekend *strwbrry* and congrats on the scan. I am debating home birth -v- hospital birth at the moment. I quite fancy a home birth, but DH is not keen, so not sure. If I knew I was going to have a long labour I would prefer hospital for pain relief, but if its going to be quick (DD was 52 mins from start to finish) I don't want to spend it in an ambulance again!
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning my first home birth and my DH has gone from completely skeptical to completely supportive. What is concerning your DH, Rosie? Is he afraid of complications or seeing you in pain? I've learned a lot from researching and speaking with my midwives and have passed along to my DH all the safety statistics and what occurs in the event of a rare what-if happening. My midwives carry with them as much equipment as a small hospital, and follow the exact same protocols as a hospital, they just don't have a portable OR..getting to one in a timely fashion if the need arises wouldn't be a problem because of how well they'll monitor me. Those concerns that something could go wrong with me or the baby have eased from my DH's mind. You should hear him talk about home birthing now, it's too funny hearing a man speak with such conviction on the good in home birth. I've never used pain medication or had interventions so seeing me in pain doesn't bother DH because he knows it is a good pain and he's educating himself on ways to assist me. He's actually requested to catch this baby, so it'll be just him and I with our midwives watching from the sidelines just in case they need to step in. We're so excited for a gentle welcoming for this baby!
Rosie12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool that your DH is so supportive. I think my DH has two concerns. One is he feels it is safer in a hospital. The other is he thinks there will be a lot of mess. My view is that you can always transfer to hospital if you change your mind during labour, but you can't suddenly decide you want a home birth, so I would rather be booked in for one. There is an information evening at our local hospital soon so I'm going to drag him along and hope it reassures him. Was there any particular research that swayed your DH?

I bought the baby's cot and mattress today, which makes it feel more real in a funny way!
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the safety of hospital versus home, make sure you both know what protocols your midwife takes in the event of a rare complication occurring. Know the statistics, complications are actually quite rare particulary if it has been an intervention/drug free labor and delivery. Arm yourselves with info about those "what ifs"; post-partum bleed, what if the baby doesn't breathe etc. Being that we're in different countries, our midwives may have different steps but here they do the exact same things as in a hospital. The amount of equipment they have with them is astounding. They are armed like a small hospital without an OR.
As far as the mess is concerned, is your DH squeamish with a little blood and mucous? There actually isn't that much of a mess. I know it's hard to remember, I certainly don't recall what came out of me but I recently attended a close girlfriends delivery and there really wasn't that much even though she bled a tad more than usual. I described to my DH how much I saw and he was surprised saying that it sounded like it was way more than the mess that I made. Between a plastic sheet and a few chux pads, everything is cleaned up quite easily and the midwives do all that while you're bonding with baby anyways.
Here's a couple links for you, I have many more bookmarked. Let me know if you'd like more.
http://www.midwifethinking.com -->this is my favourite blog. It's written in a very concise fashion, she shows concrete evidence citing numerous studies and births she's attended.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/08/31/midwife-home-births.html
I don't think there was any one piece that changed my DH's mind. I think my excitement over gaining knowledge is what led him to support the idea of home birth. He wasn't fond of our hospital experiences either, I had some very bitchy nurses and my doctor never attended the births. I'll ask him tonight if there was any one thing that really got him on board, I'll let you know :)
Pepper100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first 2 children in a midwife led unit and had brilliant drug free, easy, water births. They then closed the unit last summer just as I had found out that I was expecting my 3rd. I really didn't want to deliver in our local hospital as I had heard some bad experiences so I went ahead and looked into home birthing. I had all the home visits and had hired a pool and was really looking forward to it. Like your DH, mine was worried about the mess and what would happen if things went wrong. He was assured by the midwives that the mess would be minimal and not look like a crime scene (which was how he pictured it) and any problems would be picked up quickly as there was one to one care.

Unfortunately, once I started in labour I leaked some pink amniotic fluid and they sent me into hospital. I was made to stay in for precaution and my lovely home birthing pool (which DH had spent an hour putting up) stayed empty. My contractions stopped and they needed to start me off due to the pink fluid so I ended up strapped to a monitor and had a drip in my arm. Out of all my births, this one was the worst. It was more painful, firstly I think because I was started off so went from 0-60 in a very short space of time, secondly because I couldn't move around much to get into a comfortable position and thirdly because I didn't have the pain relief of the pool.

Also, I was made to stay in overnight as a precaution due to manual removal of the placenta which meant I couldn't be at home in my own bed as planned and my niece (who is an only and was desperate to see the baby) couldn't visit as they only let the mum's own children visit.

What I am trying to say is two things.

1) I really wished I could have had my home birth. I think it would have been calmer and I would have been in less pain. Also, to be in my own bed. I hate sleeping at hospitals as they are noisy and too light. I need to be in absolute silence and darkness to sleep properly. I was lucky really that the hospital was quiet so I had a room to myself. There is nothing worse than being up with your baby for an hour, getting it to sleep and then someone elses baby starts. I was planning on sleeping while DH looked after baby (unless he needed feeding) so I could have a proper rest. DS2 didn't wake much but with him, the lights, the noise, the canular in my hand and being sore and in an uncomfy bed, I didn't get much sleep.

2) Saying all of the above, I did actually have a complication which could have been serious and they dealt with it quickly and stopped the home birth. They know what they are doing and are probably more cautious.

There are my thoughts there. Do what you feel comfortable with.

xx
Rosie12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pepper and Strawberry. That's all really helpful. I have been really lax and not read up on any statistics or anything. A bit of homework for me, I think! Got the session on home birth this week so will see what DH says after. I do want him to feel happy with it too, but at the end of the day he missed DD's birth cos it was so quick and he was driving behind the ambulance to hospital. I don't want that to happen this time.
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing, pepper.
Rosie, I asked my DH what changed his mind and he said it was three things; women have been doing it for millions of years, he's seen and been amazed by what my body can do, he trusts my judgement completely. He's a stand behind his woman kind of man lol..i just love him to bits!

Last edited by StrwbrryMmmy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
StrwbrryMmmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ladies! How have you all been feeling this past month? Is there anyone else pregnant right now? Is it just Rosie, Shorty and I? Sad that the board won't have any new members..it is a slow forum but I'm so happy I got on when I did..such a lovely group of ladies on here.
Hello third trimester for you and I Rosie - yay! Home stretch.
I'm back to exhausted! I've had afternoon naps everyday this week which is totally out of character for me. Blood tests revealed I am anemic once again..It was really bad with my girls but I was able to get it under control with heavy iron supplementation. Since my numbers aren't as extreme as my last pregnancies I'm confident that I'll get my iron stores back up and hemoglobin to a good level therefore getting to feel more energetic again fairly quickly. Fingers crossed. Or maybe it's not just the anemia...the two kids, two dogs and being hugely pregnant with my DH working far away might have an impact on fatigue? lol
I'm suddenly feeling uncomfortably huge. I knew I've gotten really big this month and had my check up the other day. A month ago my fundal height was measuring on target with the ultrasound measurements - about 1.5 weeks behind but now I'm measuring ahead - had eight weeks of uterine growth in a month..yay baby!..Good for you having a growth spurt but momma needs some time to stretch. LO has been head down and low for about two weeks now, that little noggin is just above my pubic bone. The way it is pushing out against my belly makes it uncomfortable to sit down. I feel like a gangster driving with my seat reclined! Only gained 4 lbs this month, puts me at +27 so far Woohoo! With how big my belly has gotten this past couple weeks I was certain I packed on at least 10 lbs. Good blood pressure still, 100/64 has been my number the last couple times I've checked.
Hope your pregnancies are going well!
Pepper100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long to go for you now. I really miss being pg but it is a little uncomfortable towards the end. I had anaemia too but not too bad. Just needed some iron tablets.

Look after yourself and enjoy these last few weeks. They might be the last weeks you have being pg unless you decide you are not done and go for 4 .......lol.
Rosie12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi *strwbrry* and all, glad to hear things are going well. So happy to be in the 3rd trimester! Each pregnancy seems to have got progressively slower! I am fairly tired and having both DCs at home for the holidays, plus catching up on bits of work I left when suffering morning sickness, means I don't feel "prepared" for DC3 really. Have got all the baby stuff, just haven't organised it or mentally prepared. Have started to get really excited about reusable nappies and wraps/slings though - both things that are going to be new experiences for me (any recommendations gratefully received!). Plus DH has agreed to a home birth so that will hopefully be another first for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: