HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short lived reprieve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: short lived reprieve Reply with quote

Hi there! I had a few days where I was so overwhelmed with life that I couldn't even fathom another child. In a way, it was a relief to have a week's reprieve from "the question". But, here I am staring it in the face again, because I have to purchase new car seats. You see, in 1 week's time, I dealt with an earthquake, a hurricane, several leaks, a tree that came down, an extended power outage (not fun with small kids and a deployed spouse!), and after finally giving in and showering at a friend's house who did have power, I was in a car accident on the way home. Luckily we are all ok, just sore and shook up, and the other driver admitted 100% fault, but now my car is in the shop for several weeks at a minimum, and due to the impact, I have to pick out new carseats. No big deal, except that my kids are 4 and 1 1/2 and I'm trying to decide if I stick with a convertable seat for my little guy or go to a 3 in 1 that would fit him longer but only allow forward facing. No problemo if there are no more kids...but if more kids in the pic, I'd rather get a really good convertable one like a Britax Boulevard 70. So...here I am again, crawling out from under the rubble, and the 3rd child question staring me in the face again...sigh...
Shorty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry you had such a terrible week. Huggs to you and yours.
I would go with the Britax. Even if you don't have #3 they are far superior car seats. After numerous trial and error with my kids. I bought them both britaxs, and the kids love them. Way more comfortable, and much better safety ratings. They are pricier but well worth it. They do take up more room on the back seat, so if you have a car or a small SUV getting 3 car seats on the one seat could be difficult ( but probably not impossible) I have a caravan, the smaller one and managed to get a full sized booster seat (with a back) a Britax and a safety first Elite all on the rear bench, it required some gymnastics but it works. IMO Britax are the best.
I sympathize as I had to make sure I could get 2 Britaxs and a rear facing infant seat in the back of a Toyota FJ, so when #3 is conceived Dh wouldn't have to give up his beloved FJ. Yup they fit, but it was a workout. Good luck in your car seat hunting.
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well...just talked to Dh via email. He's back on the "no more kids" wagon...so for the time being, we're done.
Will be back if he changes his mind again.
Off now to talk to the insurance people on both the house damage and the car.
Best of luck to all!
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your week! oh, man, when it rains it pours! Here is a very helpful forum I found when we were choosing another carseat: http://www.car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

With the current recommendation to keep kids rear facing until at least 2yo... I'd go with on that has that option.
walkbyfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine Kids Radian seats are great. They have gotten good ratings, can rear face and also act as a 5 point harness up to 65 or 85 pounds depending on the version. Also, they are made to be very narrow so that you can fit three across if need be. My 8.5 year old has just outgrown hers this summer, but the 7 year old still fits fine. We have 3 in the back of our Saturn L200.

If you think there is any chance you might go for a third, why not look for a seat that would accomodate either having 2 or 3 kids. Then you won't be kicking yourself if you do go for #3. :)
2purpleflowers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Sunshine Kids recommendation! I really like ours. An added bonus is that they don't have the big "bucket" type of seat (the bottom "lip" is lower), so they are much easier for toddler to climb into themselves. And as walkbyfaith said, you can accommodate two or three kids with them (a benefit even if you don't have 3rd, because it makes it easier to transport another child if you want to carpool).
RockyMtnMom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the recommendation for Sunshine Kids Radian seats! I love mine!
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up getting the Britax ones...I got a Frontier 85 seat that can become a booster for my 4 1/2 year old DD and a Boulevard 70 for my little guy. He's almost big enough to fit in the Frontier too, but the Boulevard 70 can hold up to 70 lbs...he'll move into DD's Frontier way before then I'm sure (and I can't see her agreeing to a 5pt restraint past 7 years old or so and a high back booster past 8 or 9). I love them and the kids love them and the best part is, when they fall asleep their heads rest nicely against the rests, not flopping forward like in their old seats.

I got the Boulevard because it had tons of safety features and can be rear facing or forward facing, and although I'm 99% sure we're done with our 2...that 1% chance keeps nagging at me...and I can't help but think, if another little one was to arrive when DS was almost 3, then he or she was in the infant carrier seat for 9 months to a year or so, that would put my DD at 6 years old and DS at almost 4 and so they could all move up a seat and DD could get a simple highback booster.
Oh how I HATE being a control freak! I think too much! LOL
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you've got a good plan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: