HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

typical younger kid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: typical younger kid? Reply with quote

DD is almost 4 and DS is 2.5. DD repeats and mimics us. DS mimics and repeats EVERY thing DD does. I mean everything! Whatever she wants, he must have, including a drink, a certain food...if she turns her nose up at something, he will too, even if I know he likes it! This has worked in our favor in some ways...I do think he's more verbal than he would otherwise be and he was potty trained before his 2nd birthday.

But, sometimes I just want him to be his own person. I know, I know he's only 2! but, is this "normal" for a younger child. Is this part of middle child syndrome? Sometimes I worry he's going to get lost in copying her and not become his own person!
Mom2A&J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly normal! When my DS was younger, he would copy his sister all the time. I told her that he copies her because the loves her so much. This empowered her to teach him good things (of course a few bad things were taught too - whining - augghh). It only lasted about a year, maybe less. He is almost 4 now and a few things hung on like: getting a drink for his sister when he gets something for himself, enjoying vegetables and fruits, taking showers instead of baths. But for the most part, he is his own man. Around age 3 he really started to assert his independence. He wanted to play with his own toys and not always what she wanted to do (much to her dismay). I really wouldn't worry. Mimicing someone else is the highest form of flattery. It just shows how much he loves her.

I foresee my DD2 (she is only 5 months right now) following in her brother's footsteps too. She lights up when he interacts with her. I am not sure how well that will go over with her older sister.

Hmmm . . . something to think about.
jacel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, perfectly normal. My DD is 5 and my DS is 2 1/2. He is just now starting to come out of some of the mimicking but overall everything sissy does, he wants to do. The latest "bad" behavior is stopping feet when they don't get their way. I cannot STAND this so it's right into time out for either of them. Of course they cry and put on a fight about it but they know they can't get away with this one.

A lot of my DD's behavior's she picking up from Kindergarten, good and bad, he is now adopting. Life is fun, isn't it? Wonder how the third one will pick up the habits once he's up and running?
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mom2A&J"]

I foresee my DD2 (she is only 5 months right now) following in her brother's footsteps too. She lights up when he interacts with her. [/quote]

yeah same here. My 3rd, just a baby absolutely adores his older bro and sis. He will laugh and laugh at them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: