HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index HavingThreeKids.com
A site for moms who have three, want three, or fear three

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working with 3 kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seathree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Working with 3 kids Reply with quote

For those of you who have three kids and also work outside the home, do you have any tips? What routines/strategies do you use to help make things run smoothly?
Mom2A&J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seathree - Our kids are about the same spread - DD1 is 6 and in the 1st grade. She goes to before and after school care during the week. DS is almost 4 and in preschool 5 days a week. DD2 is 6 months and in daycare 5 days a week. Both my husband and I work full time M-F. We have come up with a system that seems to work for us. DH drops kids off in the morning (most mornings) and I pick up in the afternoons. Since the 2 oldest are able to get themselves ready in the morning, one of the best things we did was get a clothes sorter for weekdays. So they pick out their clothes on Sunday and put them in the bins for each day. So they can get dressed in the morning without my help and there is no arguing about what they are going to wear because they have already decided. And since I am often finishing laundry on Sunday afternoon, often clothes go straight from the laundry basket into their bins, so I get to skip a step!
I used to try and have my "alone" or "adult" time in the evenings. I would work out and spend some time with my husband. Needless to say, I wasn't getting much sleep since I still got up early to get a few things done before work too. So I changed my "alone" time to the mornings. Now I go to bed really early (like 8pm just after I get the kids to bed and clean up the kitchen) and get up at 4am. I know, sounds painful, but now I am used to it. DH gets up early too and catches up on the work he used to do in the evenings. I work out in the morning and while I am cooling down I get the dishwasher emptied, lunches ready for DD1 and myself, bottle for DD2, coffee brewing, making sure all papers for the schools and such are signed, etc. And I am still showered and ready to go by the time the kids get up at 6am. While they are getting dressed, I am making their breakfast and getting the little one dressed.
I don't know that it is really anything special, just figured out a system that works for us. And I am really only getting up an hour earlier than I used to. The other routine we have started is taking off jackets, shoes, winter stuff in the laundry room right as we are coming in for the day and each person has their own hook to hang everything on. That way we know where everything is in the morning and there isn't any "Mom where is my jacket?" "Mom where are my shoes?" "Honey, where are my keys?" Yeah, you know what I am talking about!

Don't know if any of that will help, but just those few changes have made a world of difference for me! Best of luck!
kkimbrell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not a WOHM, but Mom2A&J, can I just say you are awesome! wow, I'm impressed, and with a 6 mo! Wish you could come to my house and help me put some systems in place ;)
mommy2-2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that "wow". I only have the 2 kids and am a SAHM, and I REALLY need a "system". Thanks for the inspiration!
seathree

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of using a clothing sorter, especially for my DD. The early mornings might also work for me, but I think 5am would be the earliest that I could handle! Thank you for taking the time to share what works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HavingThreeKids.com Forum Index -> Having Three Kids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: